Meeting of the Chairpersons of COSAC - Conference of Parliamentary Committees for Union Affairs of Parliaments of the European Union
8 - 9 July, Parliament-Hofburg, Vienna
COSAC – the Conference of European Committees of the national parliaments and the European Parliament was founded as parliamentary body at EU level in 1989. The abbreviation is derived from its French designation "Conférence des Organes spécialisés en Affaires communautaires".
The Chairpersons’ meeting aims at a regular exchange of views regarding current EU-relevant topics and their debates in the national parliaments.
At the same time it strives to foster the exchange of information about the role of national parliaments within the EU. And finally it has to prepare the COSAC plenary session.
Overall, the COSAC conferences take place four times a year: At the first bi-annual reunion the committee’s Chairpersons and their deputies come together. At the second meeting - the plenary session- the delegation of each member state comprising max. six MPs takes part. A few years ago the parliaments of candidate countries were given the right to delegate three observers each to these conferences.
During the Austrian Presidency the Chairperson of the Standing Sub-Committee on EU Affairs of the National Council, Reinhold Lopatka, and the Chairperson of the Committee on EU Affairs of the Federal Council, Christian Buchmann (ÖVP), preside over the meeting.
After the presentation of the priorities of the Austrian Presidency by the State Secretary of the Federal Ministry of the Interior, Karoline Edtstadler, the focus will be on the “Future and perspectives of the European Union”. Contributions are expected from the First Vice-President of the European Commission, Frans Timmermans, who will outline the work of the Task Force on Subsidiarity, as well as from the First Vice-President of the European Parliament, Mairead McGuiness.
The conference was open to the public via livestream and remains available via video on demand.
- Background paper - Session 1: Priorities of the Austrian EU Presidency
Background paper - Session 1: Priorities of the Austrian EU Presidency / PDF, 129 KB
- Background paper - Session 2: Future and Perspectives of the European Union
Background paper - Session 2: Future and Perspectives of the European Union / PDF, 139 KB
- Letter addressed to the Presidency, EU Agency for Fundamental Rights / PDF, 65 KB
- Letter addressed to the Presidency, Iceland / PDF, 225 KB
- Letter addressed to the Presidency, Norway / PDF, 68 KB
- Letter addressed to the Presidency, Switzerland I / PDF, 462 KB
- Letter addressed to the Presidency, Switzerland II / PDF, 456 KB
- Letter addressed to the Presidency, France / PDF, 101 KB
- Letter addressed to the Presidency, Romania / PDF, 135 KB
- Letter addressed to the Presidency, Germany / PDF, 123 KB
- Letter addressed to the Presidency, Germany and France / PDF, 123 KB
Curricula vitae of the speakers
- Press release, 9 July 2018 EU: Timmermans Cautions against Renaissance of Nation-State Thinking
- Press release, 9 July 2018: State Secretary Edtstadler: Austrian EU Presidency Highlights Parliamentary Cooperation
- Press release, 9 July 2018: Sobotka on EU Presidency: The Focus Must Be on Respectful Co-operation in the Interest of Common Solutions
- Press release, 26 June 2018: EU Council Presidency: Parliamentary Dimension to start with meeting of COSAC Chairpersons on 9 July
Access to the meetings within the Parliamentary Dimension will be possible only with valid accreditation.
The permanent accreditation from the Austrian Presidency of the Council is valid for all conferences and media events within the Parliamentary Dimension. For this accreditation please consult the website of the Austrian Presidency www.eu2018.at.
For the conferences taking place at the Hofburg/Parliament and at the Erste Campus the permanent accreditation from the Austrian Parliament is also valid. Individual accreditation for the conferences taking place at the Hofburg/ Parliament and at the Erste Campus are managed by the Mediaservice of the Parliamentary Administration email@example.com. The dates will be individually announced prior to the conference.
Mr Gerhard Koller
Department EU Participation and European Relations
Ms Julia Groiß
Department Protocol, Visits and Conference Organisation
Should you need any further Information, please contact COSAC-Chairs-AT2018@parlament.gv.at