Headquarters of the Imperial Continental Gas Association
Long before electricity came to provide the creature comforts public and private life can no longer do without, it was gas that revolutionised both illumination and - somewhat later - other forms of energy supply. From the 1820s onwards, a private gas company, the Imperial Continental Gas Association (ICGA), with its headquarters in Britain, created the technical and economic prerequisites for gas lighting in many European metropolises, including (in 1845) Vienna.
At the peak of its economic power, the Vienna management of ICGA moved to new premises that lived up to their standing: Palais Epstein, where Director Drory and his family and other leading employees also took residence on the upper floors. When gas supply was put in the hands of the Municipality, the sumptuous apartments were relinquished by their former tenants..
- The Palace as the Family Residence and Office Building of the Epsteins
- Seat of the Administrative Court
- Seat of the Vienna Schools Council (First Republic)
- Seat of the Construction Department of the Reichsstatthalterei
- Headquarters of the Soviet City Commandantura
- The Dependency of the Academy of Music and the Performing Arts
- Seat of the Vienna City Schools Council (Second Republic)
- Palais Epstein Today