Declaration of the Parliaments of EE BG AT
Declaration of Cooperation
among the Houses of the Parliaments of Estonia, Bulgaria and Austria
in support of the preparation and fulfilment of the parliamentary dimension of
the European Union Council Presidencies of these three
European Union Member States
for the period 1 July 2017 – 31 December 2018
- the strategic role of the European Union Presidency, the challenges and opportunities it presents, and the efforts required both on the national and international level from each EU Member State,
- the important contribution of national parliaments to the well-functioning and unified European Union by ensuring the democratic legitimacy of the decision making, and consolidating the support of citizens to its main objectives,
- the challenges faced by the European Union in relation to the deteriorating security environment and the current economic situation, as well as Brexit, and the refugee crisis,
the undersigned Parties, on behalf of the Houses of the Parliaments of Estonia, Bulgaria and Austria, resolve to work together in the spirit of mutual cooperation, to effectively coordinate the preparation and implementation of the parliamentary dimension of their respective Presidencies of the Council of the European Union for the period of 1 July 2017 to 31 December 2018, and to engage with and assist each other in the achievement of the parliamentary objectives of each country’s Presidency.
Respecting the principle of parliamentary autonomy, the Parties undertake to:
- ensure effective co-ordination and communication at political and official levels across the three Parliaments with regard to the conferences, programmes, and other important parliamentary activities related to the goals of our Presidencies,
- ensure the exchange of information in a spirit of co-operation on inter-parliamentary activities related to our Presidencies,
- ensure effective coordination with regard to cooperation with the European Parliament.
In order to accomplish our objectives and achieve the highest level of success for our three Presidencies the Parties will:
- consult together regularly to create a common understanding of our goals, and of the assignments which are important for achieving these,
- arrange meetings at appropriate levels at the initiative of any of the Parties to address the challenges related to the parliamentary dimension of the Presidency, and to deliver on its objectives,
- establish, as appropriate, ad hoc working teams at the political or administrative level to discuss topical matters.
The Parties will strive to organise their working meetings as cost-efficiently as possible, and make best use of digital tools.
The Secretaries General of the Parliaments of the parties to this Declaration are authorised to take all necessary and appropriate actions to ensure that the provisions of this Declaration are fully and duly implemented.
Signed in Bratislava on 25 April 2017 in four identical copies.
President of the Riigikogu
Republic of Estonia
Dimitar Borisov Glavchev
President of the National Assembly
Republic of Bulgaria
President of the National Council
Republic of Austria
President of the Federal Council
Republic of Austria