Conference of Speakers of the European Union Parliaments
8 - 9 April 2019
Since its annual meetings in 1999 in a fixed format, the Speakers Conference of EU member states and the European Parliament has developed into an important forum of international exchange and of parliamentary cooperation within the EU. The first meeting took place in 1963 in Rome.
The Conference of Speakers
It is a special element of the Parliamentary Dimension and of interparliamentary cooperation that the parliament holding the Presidency of the Council of the EU in the second half of the year will hold the Presidency of the Conference of Speakers of the EU Parliaments and organize the meeting of the Secretaries General in the first half of the following year.
Therefore the Austrian Parliament will host the speakers of all EU member states 8 - 9 April 2019. Austria already took over the Presidency of the Speakers’ Conference from Estonia in Tallinn on 24 April 2018.
The chairmanship is currently held by the President of the National Council, Wolfgang Sobotka and the President of the Federal Council, Ingo Appé.
The conference was open to the public via livestream and remains available via video on demand.
- Background paper - Session I: The European Union and its neighbours (html)
- Background paper - Session I: The European Union and its neighbours / PDF, 290 KB
- Background paper - Session II: The European Union ahead of the 2019 European elections - further development of cooperation between national parliaments and European institutions (html)
- Background paper - Session II: The European Union ahead of the 2019 European elections - further development of cooperation between national parliaments and European institutions / PDF, 280 KB
Curricula vitae of the speakers
- Press release, 9 April 2019: Broad European Consensus for Continuing EU Enlargement Process in the Western Balkans
- Press release, 9 April 2019: Speakers Conference Debates Further Development of the EU
- Press release, 8 April 2019: The Enlargement Process in the Western Balkans as a Challenge for the European Union’s Neighbourhood Policy
- Press release, 8 April 2019: Austrian National Council President Sobotka and Austrian Federal Council President Appé Welcome Colleagues to the Conference of Speakers of European Union Parliaments at the Vienna Konzerthaus
- Press release, 25 March 2019: Conference of Speakers of the European Union Parliaments on 8 and 9 April
- 9 April 2019: Conference of Speakers of the European Union Parliaments
- 8 April 2019: Conference of Speakers of the European Union Parliaments - Dinner
- 8 April 2019: Conference of Speakers of the European Union Parliaments
- 8 April 2019: Meeting of the Presidential Troika
- EU2018 - Parliamentary Dimension | All Photos
Access to the meetings within the Parliamentary Dimension will be possible only with valid accreditation.
Media accreditation for the Conference of Speakers of the European Union Parliaments taking place at the Wiener Konzerthaus is managed by the Mediaservice of the Parliamentary Administration (press-EU2018@parlament.gv.at) and the permanent accreditation from the Austrian Parliament is also valid, a prior registration is required.
The accreditation badges will be issued on the two conference days at the media accreditation desk at the Wiener Konzerthaus. Please note that when picking up your badge, you have to present a valid press ID or the original letter of authorisation from the respective media company and an official ID with a photo.
Issue desk on the two conference days at the Wiener Konzerthaus:
Monday, 8 April: 13:00
Tuesday, 9 April: 8:00
Foto- and video opportunity during the conference:
Monday, 8 April and Tuesday, 9 April: Door Step and Tour de Table before the start of the conference
Monday, 8 April 16.30: Family photo
Media representatives will have access to the conference via the press gallery and via livestream in the media room, workstations will be available.